Hospitality Outdoor Activation
This page provides information to assist councils consider how they can activate outdoor dining to support their local hospitality businesses flourish while operating safely.
MAV Outdoor Activation Resource Guide for Councils
We have collated a range of information, links and suggestions to aide councils consider ways to activate outdoor dining and creative use of outdoor spaces. The MAV Outdoor Activation - Resource Guide for Councils (PDF - 985KB) document includes:
- Key messages
- Key considerations for councils and businesses
- Regulatory issues
- Insurance and risk management
- Suggested approaches
- Compliance and enforcement.
Examples of Council outdoor activation policies and application FAQs
Many councils already have footpath dining or similar guidelines and these should form the basis of council consideration. Given the scale and duration of the likely outdoor activation through summer and well into 2021, Councils should consider updating or adding supplementary guidance to their standard guidelines outlining their expectations that businesses will be meeting the public health requirements outlined by Victoria’s Chief Health Officer and the COVID-19 public health directions
Information kits for businesses
- Banyule Council’s website provides a range of resources for businesses including outdoor dining guidelines and a range of templates for site plans, risk assessment, letter of support and site plan examples.
- Boroondara City Council’s Information Pack (PDF - 552KB) provides the latest information to help businesses take advantage of outdoor trading opportunities as simply and quickly as possible. This information pack will help them to assess their best option by outlining the types of spaces that can be accessed (extended footpath, private space and public space) and how to apply for each type of space for outdoor dining.
- Information about Darebin Council's support to businesses during COVID-19 can be found on their website along with a fact sheet (PDF - 185KB) and checklist (PDF - 111KB) for businesses.
- Greater Geelong Council’s website provides FAQs, Links to various council and state supports and requirements and an Application form
- Greater Shepparton City Council website provides an Outdoor Dining Planning Guide and FAQ
- Hepburn Shire Council’s website provides information on its Placement Of Fixed And Temporary Furniture Policy, Signs And Outdoor Dining Facilities On Road Reserves (PDF - 2.86MB), and an Application Form
- Melbourne City Council’s Outdoor cafe/dining permits page includes information on fast-tracked outdoor dining permits, including Extended outdoor dining guidelines (Word - 4.8MB), Fact Sheet (PDF - 3.6MB) . Outdoor Cafe Guide (PDF - 4.65MB)
- CHO Directions are available at the Department of Health and Human Services website.
- Moonee Valley City Council’s website provides information on their Parklet Program, including General Guidelines and Expression of Interest Form
- Merri-bek City Council (formerly Moreland City Council)’s website provides a number of resources to assist businesses interested in hosting a Parklet on either a short term or long term arrangement, including Program Guidelines (PDF - 3.78MB), Standard Design Detail (PDF - 126KB), Long Term Parklet Application (PDF - 561KB), Video Explanation of the Program (YouTube)
The webpage also provides a photo gallery of previous Parklets set up under the program that has been in operation since 2017 and is being expanded as part of recovery activities.
- Mornington Peninsula Shire Council’s website includes information on extended footpath trading and the new Parklets program, including FAQs, Expression of Interest form, Information for Traders (PDF - 188KB) , Information and links to council’s Commercial Activities on Footpath Policy (PDF - 3.9MB) to ensure continuous access for all
- Warrnambool City Council’s website provides information to businesses on the Steps to take before starting an application, FAQs, application process, requirements and timeframes and an application checklist
- Wyndham City Councils Alfresco Parklets in Wyndham booklet (PDF - 829KB) includes information on parklets, considerations and a chronological order of steps for businesses.
Useful website links:
- Premier’s media announcement to activate outdoor dining
- Current COVIDSafe Settings for business and industry in Victoria
- Face masks
- Staying ahead of COVID-19
- Department of Transport Temporary On-road Dining Approval Guidelines
For hospitality businesses:
Share your policies and initiatives!
If you'd like to share your council's policies and initiatives on this page email them to Naree Atkinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.