Victorian local government women's charter
We encourage greater participation of women in local government as councillors and senior managers in recognition of the ongoing under-representation of women in these roles.
As part of this effort, Victorian local government signed up to the three principles of the Victorian local government women’s charter.
Acting on the Charter
Initially signed by the Minister for Local Government and presidents of the MAV, VLGA and the Women’s Participation in Local Government Coalition (WPILGC) in 2002, councils continue to formally sign up to the Charter principles.
There are many ways councils can act to increase women’s participation in local government. Examples can be found in the links set out in the resources section.
- Victorian local government women's charter (PDF - 69.8KB)
- A Gender Agenda (5th edition) (PDF - 1.12MB)
- 50:50 Vision Councils for Gender Equity
- Charter update 2013 - implementing the charter (PDF - 1.05MB)
- Closing the gender gap - principles, commitments, actions (PDF - 637KB)
- Examples of council action plans (Word - 132KB)
- Now you are a councillor - a site for women councillors in Victorian local government
- Sample 3 x 3 action plan (Word - 121KB)
- Women's charter checklist tool (PDF - 79.9KB)
- Women's charter checklist tool (Word - 88.3KB)
Engage with us
For enquiries about the Women's Charter, contact:
(03) 9677 5520